Within the Happy Birthday app, there 2 options for providing a discount code to your Birthday Club members:
Using our auto-generated discount code feature
By default, your birthday email campaign will be set to include an auto-generated discount code, generated by the Happy Birthday app. This feature will create a discount code programmatically in your Shopify Admin > discounts area and as such, will only use criteria supported by Shopify discounts.
This discount code will be generated as a single-use discount and its usage can be tracked within the Happy Birthday app (see the stats page for conversion information).
The Happy Birthday app will generate a new discount each calendar year for each member of your Birthday Club.
The discount codes settings can be configured from within Happy Birthday app > Settings > Discount Codes.
We recommend that you tweak these settings as soon as you can to ensure you offer a discount that you are happy to be sent out.
Auto-generated discount code settings
The available discount code settings are quite straight forward:
- Discount type - You can choose to offer a percentage-based discount or a fixed amount discount:
- Percentage - A percentage of the order subtotal.
- Fixed amount - A specific amount of money off the total of the order, e.g. $10.
- Discount amount - The amount of the discount, either in your base currency or percentage.
- Discount code prefix, optional - All codes created by the app can be identified using a prefix.
- Minimum Spend (optional) - The minimum order amount required for the discount to work.
- Discount expiry, in days - How many days after the discount has been created, it will expire. Discounts will expire at 11:59pm on the day of the expiry.
- Entitled products, optional - You can specify only certain products to qualify for the discount.
- Entitled collections, optional - You can specify collections that products must belong to in order to qualify for the discount.
You should only use Entitled Collections when not specifying Entitled Products!
If the discount applies to a specific product or collection, then only these items contribute to the minimum spend amount. Also, the discount amount or percentage will also only apply to these items.
Using your own discount code
If you'd prefer to use your own discount code in your Birthday Email Campaign, then you can do this within the settings > discount codes area of the app.
Start by unchecking the Automatically generate unique codes setting:
Then enter the discount code that you would like to use:
You will, of course, need to create that discount code yourself within your stores Shopify Admin > discounts area.
We also recommend that you select the Copy and paste option within the Happy Birthday app > Settings > Birthday Email Campaign > Discount Code Options area. We can not auto-apply discount codes to the cart if they have not been created by the Happy Birthday app.
You can read more about the difference between copy and pasting and auto-applying discounts in our discount code options article.
Issues you may face when using your own discount code
There are some drawbacks to using your own discount code:
Multi usage discounts
The discount code that you create can not be limited to a single use per customer. Shopify discounts don't have a setting to allow the discount to be used once per year, therefore that discount needs to be live for everyone to use all year round, which opens it up to being abused.
Conversion tracking is not enabled
We do not track conversions when using your own fixed discount codes. We can only track conversions for discounts created by the Happy Birthday app.
Why we recommend using our auto-generated discount code feature
We would always recommend that Merchants use our built-in auto-generated discount codes because the discount code will renew each year and will be limited to a single use.
To read more about our auto-generated discount codes, please take a look at our helpdesk article that covers auto-generated discount codes.
Need any help?
If you need any help with your discount code settings then please do get in touch!