This guide is specifically aimed at Merchants who will be enabling our Klaviyo, MailChimp or SMSBump integrations to send out their Birthday emails or Birthday SMS messages.
What is the Birthday Discount Link?
If you have chosen to use an Email Marketing Platform (EMP) to send out your birthday emails (e.g. MailChimp or Klaviyo) or an SMS Sending Platform (SMSSP) to send out birthday SMS messages (e.g. SMSBump), you have the option for Happy Birthday to auto-generate a unique birthday discount code for each member of your Birthday Club.
When this feature is enabled, rather than creating a discount code for each new member that joins your Birthday Club, a unique Birthday Discount Link will be generated instead. That link will then be pushed, along with other new Birthday Club member details, into your EMP or SMSSP ready for inclusion into your birthday email template.
What does the Birthday Discount Link do?
The page that the Birthday Discount Link leads to is known as the Generate Discount Page. This is a dynamic page that the Happy Birthday app creates in your Shopify store. When a Birthday Club member lands on that page, the Happy Birthday app will generate and display a unique, single usage discount code for that member to use for that birthday year. They can either copy the discount code from that page or apply it directly to their shopping session.
To find out more about how the Generate Discount Page works, its features and how to customise it, please read our Generate Discount Page guide.
How do I enable the Birthday Discount Link?
If you have selected to use either our Klaviyo, MailChimp or SMSBump integration, then we will automatically generate the Birthday Discount Link for each new sign-up to your Birthday Club. That link will then be pushed into the corresponding platform, however, for the link to work, you will need to make sure that you have enabled automatically generated discount codes within the Happy Birthday app.
To enable automatically generated discount codes, go to Settings > Discount Codes within the Happy Birthday app and then select the checkbox for Automatically generate unique codes in the Discount Settings section:
Make sure you save the discount settings for them to take effect.
How do I add the Birthday Discount Link to my birthday email?
If you have elected to use the Happy Birthday app to auto-generate birthday discount codes, then the Birthday Discount Link will need to be added into the birthday email template that you create within your EMP. It should be the main call to action for the customer to click on in the email.
We have created a set of instructions for both Klaviyo and MailChimp that will guide you through the process of adding the Birthday Discount Link to the birthday email campaign template.
- MailChimp - how to set-up your Birthday email template
- Klaviyo - adding the Birthday Discount Link guide
If you are using SMSBump to send out Birthday SMS Messages, we will append the Birthday Discount Link to the end of the SMS message automatically.
Why should I use the Birthday Discount Link feature?
- Unique discount codes per customer are safer than global discount codes - protect your brand's value by ensuring that a Birthday discount code remains special and not subject to abuse. The above-mentioned EMP's will only allow you to create a fixed discount code for inclusion into your birthday emails, which could be misused if shared. By using our Birthday Discount Link feature, we ensure that the discount codes are not open to being exploited.
- There's no need to enter a code at checkout - When the customer clicks the 'Shop Now' button, the code is automatically applied to the checkout. Customers will see the applied discount code as soon as they reach checkout, thereby removing any friction from locating and applying the discount code from their birthday email.
- Maintain the discount code expiration date - Whether the customer clicks on the discount link immediately or long after their Birthday, the discount code expiration will be based on how many days after the code was made available and not when they first visited the Generate Discount Page to generate their code.
- Be more creative! - Having an entire page dedicated to birthday messages, allows you to be more creative in how you greet your customer! We have provided tools within the app for you to customise the HTML and CSS of the Generate Discount Page page.
- Read more about how the Generate Discount Page works and how to customise the page in our Generate Discount Page guide.
- Read more about generating birthday discount links for existing customers that you have collected via the Happy Birthday app.
Need any help?
If you would like any advice or support setting this up, please don't hesitate to get in touch.