Shopify Merchants can utilise the auto-apply discount feature to make the process of applying a discount code straight from the birthday email a breeze.
How does it work?
Here's an overview of how the auto-apply discount feature works once enabled:
1. The Customer receives their Birthday Email and clicks the button to apply the discount. The discount code is also still displayed in the Birthday Email.
2. The Customer will be directed to a page on your Shopify store, that we are calling the Discount Applied Landing Page. This page will apply the discount to that shopping session behind the scenes. The page will inform the Customer that their discount code has been applied to their session.
3. Once the Customer has added some items to their cart/basket and is ready to Checkout, they will see that the discount has already applied and has been deducted from the total.
4. If your discount code relies on a minimum spend amount to be met before the discount is valid, the Customer will see a message informing them that the minimum spend has not yet been met.
All they need to do is meet the minimum spend amount and the discount will be applied.
That's it! Nice and simple.
Why we like this feature
We've had a similar feature in place for Merchants using our MailChimp and Klaviyo integrations for a while and the feedback we received was positive. Merchants also received fewer support enquiries from Customers related to incorrectly copying and pasting the discount code from the email to the Checkout.
Fewer support requests and a smoother Customer journey make a winning combination!
This feature is only available if you are using our Happy Birthday App to send out the Birthday Emails. If you have enabled an integration to send out your Birthday Campaign Emails, then a similar feature is already built into the discount landing page for that integration.
How do I enable this feature?
Set-up Time: Less than 5 minutes - no technical knowledge required
By default, the auto-apply discount feature is enabled, but if for any reason it is not, go to Settings > Birthday Email Campaign and then scroll down to Discount Code Options
Select the Auto Apply option.
For more information, read our guide on the Discount Applied Landing Page.
1. What if the customer doesn't proceed with their checkout after auto-applying the discount?
Auto-applying the discount to the checkout from the email does not count as having used the discount code until the checkout is complete. Therefore, if a Customer Auto-applies the discount from the email, but does not follow through with the transaction, that discount code will still be valid to use on another occasion until its expiry date.
2. Will the discount code still be shown in the Birthday Email?
3. What if we have set-up a minimum spend on our Birthday discount code?
Don't worry, if your discount code relies on a minimum spend amount to be met before the discount is valid, the discount will still have been applied. Customers will just need to add items to their cart/basket until the minimum spend amount is met and then the discount will become valid in the Checkout.
4. I'm not familiar with CSS or HTML and I need help customising my Discount Applied Landing Page, can you help?
Yes! Just get in touch, let us know as much as you can about how you want the page to look and we will do our best to style that page to your liking.
Give it a shot!
If you're looking to improve the customer journey from the Birthday Email to the Checkout, then this is a great feature to enable. It will eliminate those annoying copy and paste errors and Customers will receive instant confirmation that their discount code has been applied. Altogether, a more complete user experience for your customer.
Need any help?
If you need any help with this or any other feature, then please don't hesitate to get in touch.