This article is specifically aimed at Merchants who wish to enable our integration with Klaviyo.
You may be enabling the integration to send birthday emails from your Klaviyo account or to just push contacts from Happy Birthday into your linked Klaviyo account, or even both of these! This article will walk you through the set-up process.
To set up this integration, you will need a Klaviyo account. If you don't already have one, then you can create an account here and then return when you are ready.
Step 1. Generating a Klaviyo Private API Key
The first step will be to generate a Klaviyo API key. Please see our article How to find your API key in Klaviyo for details on how to do this and then return here to continue with the next steps.
Step 2. Enabling the Integration within the Happy Birthday App
Click on the Integrations link from the main navigation within the Happy Birthday app and you will see the Klaviyo integration section at the top.
Click on the View Details button and the page will refresh:
The Klaviyo Section will now have a button labelled Enable Klaviyo Integration. Click on that button:
You will then be presented with the Integration page where you can paste in your Klaviyo Private API key. You will also see a number of checkboxes that will provide you with further control over the integration. We will go into more detail about these in the next step, so please don't hit save just yet:
Step 3. Klaviyo Integration Settings
There are a number of options available with our Klaviyo integration that can be set from within the Klaviyo integration page.
This first option asks if you would like to use Klaviyo to send out your Birthday emails.
If you would like to keep sending Birthday emails from the Happy Birthday app, then leave this checkbox empty.
If you would like to send Birthday Emails from your Klaviyo account, then you need to select the checkbox which will turn off birthday email sending from the Happy Birthday app.
Events to send to Klaviyo
If you are using Klaviyo to send out your Birthday emails, then the majority of the event options listed in this section will not be relevant, as they are only relevant to emails sent via the Happy Birthday app.
If you are sending out emails via the Happy Birthday app, the following events can still be pushed into Klaviyo:
- Added Birthday - Enabling this will ensure that the contact data we collect in Happy Birthday will be sent through to your Klaviyo account. We will send over the first name, last name, email address, and birthdate.
- Sent Birthday Email - The birthday email has been sent by the Happy Birthday app
- Opened Birthday Email - The birthday email was opened by the contact
- Clicked Birthday Email - A hyperlink in the birthday email was clicked by the contact
- Unsubscribed from Birthday Email - The contact has unsubscribed from the Birthday email
- Redeemed Birthday Discount - The contact has used the birthday discount code. If this is the case, then we will pass over the following data:
- Order Number
- Order Value
- Code Value
- Discount Code
If you have chosen to use Klaviyo to send out your Birthday emails, then only the Redeemed Birthday Discount event data will be sent through to your Klaviyo account.
For Happy Birthday to push birthday discount usage data into Klaviyo, the following discount settings will need to be enabled in the Happy Birthday app settings:
- Discount code - You need to be using our auto-generated discount code option, or the fixed discount code option so that we can report on discount code usage. Find out more about setting up discount codes in the Happy Birthday app.
- Generate discount page - A link to this page is used in your Birthday email to direct customers to your site. When they land on this page, their birthday discount code is generated. Find out more about how the generate discount page works.
Once you have selected the integration options suited to how you will use the Klaviyo integration, hit Save Settings and the integration will be live.
Step 4. Identifying customers with birthdates in Klaviyo
Now that the Klaviyo integration has been enabled, you need to be able to identify where the birthdates can be found in your Klaviyo contacts' profiles. If you have only just set up the integration, the chances are that you have not yet captured any Birthday Club sign-ups, so we won't yet have pushed through any new contacts with birthdates into Klaviyo.
When you do receive a birthday sign-up however, you will be able to take a look in your Klaviyo account and see that the contact's birthdate is added as a custom property against the customer record. It is easily identifiable.
To view this, go to your Klaviyo account, go to profiles and then click on a contact's record. Scroll down and in the bottom right-hand corner of their profile page, you will see their Custom Properties.
If a customer has left their date of birth, you will see this, and also their Birthday Discount Link (if Klaviyo has been configured to send the emails) within the Information area like so:
Once you have verified that you are seeing contacts with birthdates in your Klaviyo account, the contact data integration is complete.
If you would like to use Klaviyo to send out your Birthday emails, then please take a look at how to set-up your Klaviyo birthday email automation.
Need any help?
If you need any help setting up your Klaviyo integration then please do just get in touch!