This article is specifically aimed at Merchants who have already enabled our integration with MailChimp. Please see our MailChimp Integration Basics article before proceeding.
This article will detail the required steps for adding the Birthday Discount Link to a Saved MailChimp Email template that is not linked to any specific campaign.
If you're using MailChimp's legacy Classic Automation method, then please see this article instead: MailChimp Classic Automation - adding the Birthday Discount Link to your email
Likewise, if you're wanting to add the Birthday Discount Link to a Customer Journey then you'll want to follow the steps in the article MailChimp Customer Journey - adding the Birthday Discount Link to your email
If you are attempting to edit an email template that is linked to a MailChimp campaign, then you will see a warning dialog within MailChimp that states, any changes made to that email template will not be carried into the version used by the campaign:
Locating the Birthday Discount Link merge tag within MailChimp
Each field within a MailChimp audience has a corresponding and unique merge tag. You're likely already familiar with these, but if not, they look like a snippet of text wrapped in special characters. Such as *|EXAMPLE|*.
When a merge tag is inserted within an email, the tag is replaced with the content stored in the corresponding audience field. As an audience field itself, the Birthday Discount Link also has a corresponding merge tag. Your audience merge tags can be found by clicking on the audience Settings dropdown menu and selecting Audience fields and *|MERGE|* tags:
You will notice in the screenshot below that there are two options of merge tags for most fields. We recommend using the *|BDAYLINK|* option. (Tip: You may want to copy this merge tag from here to your clipboard. Or at least keep this article open and come back to it as you follow the steps below.)
Adding the Birthday Discount Link merge tag into the Email
1. Within MailChimp, navigate to Campaigns > Email templates:
2. Find the email template you wish to modify and Click the Edit button located to the right.
3. Does your email template already contain a call to action (CTA) such as a Button? If not, then add one in from the content blocks. This is where we'll be pasting in the merge tag for our Birthday Discount Link:
4. Head back to your Audience fields and *|MERGE|* tags page and double check the value used for the Birthday Discount Link merge tag. It will likely be *|BDAYLINK|* (Tip: You may like to copy this merge tag from here to your clipboard, as clicking into the box on the merge tags page will not copy the enclosing characters.):
5. Click the Edit icon on the Button content block:
6: Paste in the Birthday Discount Link merge tag.
6. Click the Save & Close button:
7. Click the Save and Exit button:
And that's it! You have now added the Birthday Discount Link to your Email template. Your Birthday Club members can now look forward to a special birthday discount from you.
Read more about what exactly happens when that button is clicked, in our Generate Discount Page article.
Need any help?
If you would like any advice or support setting this up, please don't hesitate to get in touch.