This guide is specifically aimed at Merchants currently using a Klaviyo Public API Key within their Klaviyo integration settings.
Klaviyo have announced that they will be retiring their legacy v1/v2 APIs in favour of a new and improved set of APIs.
The new APIs require the use of a Private API Key to allow Klaviyo to communicate with external platforms and data sources.
If we have been in contact to let you know that your integration with Klaviyo is using your Klaviyo Public API Key, you will need to follow the steps below to generate a Private API Key in Klaviyo and update the API Key setting within the Happy Birthday app.
The good news is that this is very simple to do and should only take a few minutes of your time.
1. From your profile menu, head to the settings page:
2. Within the Settings navigation bar, click the API Keys option:
3. On the API Keys page, click the Create Private API key button.
4. A new page of options will appear. The first of which is to give your new Private API Key a name. Use a name that will remind you of what the key relates to, such as "Happy Birthday app integration":
5. Next, select the access level. We recommend using the Grant applications full access for every API scope option for the integration:
6. Click the Create button:
7. You will then see a confirmation message that your Private API Key has been created along with the options to either Copy Key or Download (as text):
8. Click the Copy Key icon:
9. Head on over to the Happy Birthday app from within your Shopify Admin area.
10. Click on the Integrations link from the main navigation within the Happy Birthday app and you will see the Klaviyo integration section at the top. Click on the Manage button:
11. Go to the Klaviyo Integration Settings section where you will see your current 6 digit Public API Key. Clear/Delete those 6 digits and paste in your new Klaviyo Private API Key. Your new key will be much longer:
12. Click the Save Settings button and that's it!
Happy Birthday will now start using your new Private API Key to send Birthday Club sign-ups and events into Klaviyo.
Need any help?
If you need any help replacing your Klaviyo Public API Key with a Klaviyo Private API Key, then please do just get in touch!